de Pinna’s Self Catering Cottage is Accommodation near Wanderers Stadium
Wanderers Stadium is within comfortable walking distance (approx. 20 minute walk.) from de Pinna’s Self Catering Cottage.
For international matches the gates generally open two hours before the match is due to start. For domestic matches this is usually an hour before the game starts. Exceptions can be made for matches such as the Standard Bank Pro20 where the crowds are extremely large, and thus the gates are opened about two hours prior.
Having accommodation close to the Wanderers Stadium our guests need not be concerned. Just a 20 minute walk and they will be seated and ready to enjoy the cricket.
- Grass embankment is a family area and therefore no smoking or no alcohol is allowed.
- Grass embankment tickets can only be purchased from the stadium’s ticket office.
- Please note that chairs and umbrellas are only allowed behind the white line on the grass embankment.
Bidvest Wanderers Stadium attempts to reserve the use of a park in close proximity. Guests that have accommodation close to the stadium don’t have to concern themselves with parking problems. Be it an international or local, 20/20, limited over or 5 day cricket game, de Pinna’s Self Catering Cottage will let the cricket bowl you over. No fuss no rush just cricket.
About the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium – Since South Africa’s return to International cricket in 1991, the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium has undergone major changes. In 1991, construction began on the Centenary Pavilion, at the north end or Golf-Course end of the ground. This stand was completed in November 1991. Then in April 1992, work began on the imposing Unity Pavilion, on the south, or Corlett Drive, end of the ground. This was completed in November 1992, and was officially opened on 26 November by Sir Colin Cowdrey. The Memorial Pavilion Stand, on the north-west side of the ground, was completed in October 1994 and houses the indoor practice nets. 1995 saw work done on The Western Pavilion, which was refurbished to give it a look in line with the rest of the grounds, and the Main Gate was rebuilt; now incorporating fully electronic turnstiles to give an accurate assessment of attendances.
In 1996, the existing four 30-metre high floodlight masts were replaced by five new masts, each 65-metres high, enabling The Bidvest Wanderers Stadium to see its first day/night limited-overs international (against Zimbabwe on 31 January 1997). A very popular addition to the cricket season was the introduction of night cricket. The Bidvest Wanderers Stadium is one of the best stadiums in world cricket for such events.
The pitch table has been re-laid over the past few years and currently comprises 10 pitches.
The playing field surface is undoubtedly the finest in world cricket. The Kent Park Taverners Pavilion, on the south-east side of the Wanderers Stadium (between the Unity Pavilion and the Open Eastern Stand), was pulled down and replaced by a new stand which houses the Taverners, public seating for about 1200 people, and features 12 corporate suites.
Capacity at the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium is around 34 000 including the occupants of the suites. Need accommodation close to the Wanderers Stadium then de Pinna’s is certain to meet that requirement.
The Wanderers Club and Golf Club is a 20 minute walk away.
Wanderers Golf Club. The Golfing enthusiast will find the Driving Range, Chipping & Putting Greens at the Wanderers of a world class standard. Playing a four ball, testing a new swing or stroke, de Pinna’s Self Catering Cottage is +- five minutes drive from the world class Golf course offering quality facilities such as: A Driving Range, Chipping & Putting Greens, Golf Director & Professional Coaches and a well stocked Pro Shop.
VISITORS TO THE WANDERERS CLUB.
Visitors to the Wanderers Club are welcome to use the facilities. Visitors are reminded that the Wanderers Golf Club and the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium are no longer sections of the Wanderers Club but separate entities in their own right.
The Club boasts the following sporting facilities:-
- A four-lane, 400metre flood-lit grass track.
- Three indoor badminton courts.
- Two outdoor flood-lit basketball courts
- Four bowling greens.
- Two cricket ovals, one being flood-lit.
- Four astro-turf cricket nets as well as six grass practice nets.
- A fully equipped premier gymnasium.
- Water-based flood-lit hockey astro-turf
- Two flood-lit rugby fields with a clubhouse.
- Ten full size snooker tables and a fully equipped bar. To make use of the snooker tables as a visitor please enquire within the billiards room on the lower ground level for bookings and light fee.
- Eight squash courts, one being an international all-glass court. Contact the squash centre +27 11 788 5010 extension 250 to book courts and pay a light fee for the usage of lights.
- Twelve tennis courts, all are flood-lit and a tennis pro shop. To book a court, please enquire at the main reception.
- 5km and 8km time trial on Thursday evening’s from 17h45.
- Fully equipped sauna on the lower ground level.